After 6 weeks of surgical experience I can safely say Surgery is not for me.
In fact, I'm starting to tell people this. So the cat is out of the bag. Like today. Where I told them I'm not doing surgery. Actually, I think the exact quote to one of the interns was "I hate surgery" and to the chief in reply to "what do you want to do?" I responded "NOT SURGERY". Does this mean I'm not going to fulfill my duties or pull my weight? No. Does it mean I will count down the days until the rotation is over? yes. I hate the OR. I hate scrubbing and just sitting there. I'd much rather go around doing scut work. I don't mind watching. I just don't like the whole sterile field thing.
I also don't like pediatrics. I didn't get around to telling them I have also eliminated that choice.
What are they going to do? Fail me because I told them upfront I don't like surgery? No. They would have to give me a good reason to fail me if that did happen.
6 more weeks. 6 more weeks of general surgery. Ugh. Is it 4th year yet?
And for the record, I'm jealous of the people who got to go to Destin while I rot at the VA. Enjoy some sand and sun for me! I want pictures and stories when you guys return!
No comments:
Post a Comment